Monday, October 1, 2012

Youth Football


My Grandson plays youth football in Oak Creek.  OC has a good football tradition, with perennial high school championship caliber teams.  He plays defensive back, which was my favorite position as a kid.  I watched his team play on a recent Saturday.  

The size and skills of the kids vary greatly and instruction is the primary focus of the coaches.  Some kids have played organized football before and know what they are doing.  Others haven’t played and were less confident on the field.

Player’s parents were enthused supporters and some parents were enthusiastic about the nearby bar.  They said game morning bloody Marys and bar lunches were the highlight of the game days.  I was less enthusiastic than them.

Last year the OC Youth Football treasurer was found guilty of embezzling $35,000 from the program to support a vacation to Mexico.  I have been to Mexico many times and found it interesting to hear that people would commit crimes to get there.  Many people also commit crimes to leave Mexico too.  The treasurer’s crime has me confused.

I enjoyed watching the game and the intensity of the coaches, and the effort of the kids.  It reminded me of the old school vibrating toy football games, where the players quickly are moving in many directions and confusion takes over.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment