Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Marriage in Taiwan for a Foreigner

I have put an extensive amount of time into researching the requirements for a foreigner to marry a Taiwanese citizen in Taiwan.  The process is confusing and the information available on line and through official Taiwan sources is conflicting.  In part the issues are language and translation related, but more likely cultural.   I cannot use my western mind to comprehend an eastern view towards marriage.  We think we largely have it figured out and we are targeting a December marriage.  I thought I would share some of the information I collected so far.
Some of the issues revolve around several topics, with each having specific requirements to be completed within a specified time window, in either the U.S. or Taiwan. These topics include visa type and timing, my health, my criminality, my current marital status and my bank account.
My marital status is widower/single and I am available for marriage.  This seems pretty clean and should represent no problem, except Taiwan requires that I prove I am single.  That is not as easy as it may sound.  I can prove I was previously married; I have a marriage certificate.  I cannot easily prove I am single, because my local jurisdiction does not hand out single certificates.  It is similar to proving that I have not eaten avocados during the past month, which for the record, I have.  Fortunately the Taiwan government has a solution.  I can go the U.S. consulate in Taipei and have a completed Affidavit Regarding Marital Status notarized and of course exchange money.  This is not logical to my western mind, since a married person can go pay money to “prove” they are single.
My Fiancée told me that I need a criminal record to get married.   Again this is not logical to my western mind and fortunately or unfortunately based on the statement she made, I came close to successfully having a criminal record in my youth.  She then corrected herself and said I need to have proof that I have no criminal record.  That makes more sense to me.  After some phone calls and internet searching, I found out that my state justice department provides a notarized criminal background check, once I complete a form, obtain full fingerprints from my local police department and forward money and forms to begin the process.  I mailed everything to the state on Thursday afternoon.  Not surprising, my state which is populated by very efficient people of northern European descent, completed the background check and I received the certificate on Saturday in the mail.  That is crazy efficient.  Now my Fiancée is slightly disappointed that she is not marrying a bad boy, like she desires.  To offset my perfectly clean record, I am growing a beard and taking up cigarette smoking.  I also need a criminal background check conducted in Taiwan; hopefully my time there so far doesn’t disqualify me for marriage.
I can write about visas for many pages.  The short story is that I need to have a free 30 day landing visa when I arrive.  I will leave on the 29th day, so all is good.  This is the only thing in the process that I pay no money and it is obviously an oversight by the Taiwan government.   I can obtain a visitor’s visa for $140 USD plus forms, pictures, trips to Chicago and other hassles.  The visitor visa is good for 60 days.  The key to each visa type is the application for an Alien Residency Certificate or ARC.  You cannot get an ARC on a landing visa, but if you use the visitor visa, it must be done within 15 days or arrival.   I cannot apply for the ARC until I have a marriage certificate and I am added to the local household, which requires notarized forms and the exchange of money. 
The health certificate actually makes sense to me.  I need to obtain a completed and notarized form that states I have no STDs, tuberculosis and other issues.  I didn’t realize TB was still an issue, but I’m pretty sure I will be able to obtain the certificate.  I can have my local doctor complete the form or have it done in Taiwan.  I will use a doctor in Taiwan, so I don’t have to have the U.S. form translated, notarized and exchange money.  I will be required to have the form notarized in Taiwan, and exchange money, but I can avoid the translation. 
I need to prove I have a bank account with a minimum level of money.   No problem, except I must have this translated, notarized and exchange money.  The purpose of this bank account information is to prove I have enough money to pay for everything else in the marriage process.
While looking on line for information, I found one man’s blog titled Taiwan Marriage for Foreigners.  He is an American from NY and is wife is Taiwanese.  I found his story slightly useful and comforting.  I also used the Taiwan National Immigration Agency website.  This was not very useful or comforting. The website included little cartoon figures; Asians love cartoon figures.  I assumed the FAQ section of this website would deal with some of the most relevant issues foreigners would face.  Included in their top ten FAQs are some cut and pastes:
A pregnant foreign caretaker gives birth during the validity of work in the R.O.C. and the biological father of the child…    I wasn’t sure if this referenced a Taiwanese man impregnating his hired help from a foreign country.
A foreign spouse married to 2 nationals with household registered in the Taiwan Areas separately has applied for residence of relations for 2 times and…    Since Taiwan doesn’t allow polygamy, I was confused by this.  Also, reference my comments on proving that I am single above.
What I haven’t mentioned is that all of these requirements have expiration dates.  Some certificates are good for 90 days and others have 15 day lead times.  Coupled with 15 day within landing requirements on 30 day visas, and the Chinese desire to marry on a lucky day, such as the 8th, planning a Chinese marriage is difficult.  I haven’t even mentioned planning wedding receptions in three different countries.
Everything is coming into focus.  My Fiancée is stressed by the process, but I know she loves me, since we are still moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment