Friday, November 18, 2011

Chinese Massage

As a child growing up during the cold war era, I was always under the impression that the Chinese were the masters of torture.  The Chinese children grew up thinking the Americans were barbarians.  Years later, after Dick Cheney reinforced the use of torture as a primary U.S. intelligence tool, I think we know which culture got it right.  Or maybe not…

Less than 12 hours after arriving in Taiwan, I was taken for a Chinese massage.  When someone hears Chinese massage, they can have different views.  At the lowest level, massage parlors are prostitution centers.  Massages at reputable hotel spas can come with or without happy endings.  The massage I was treated to is called Tui Na.  This therapy is part of traditional Chinese medicinal practices.  Tui Na utilizes Taoism and martial art principals to bring the body into balance.  There are eight principals of traditional Chinese medicine with the emphasis on getting the Qi (energy) flowing throughout the body.  Tui Na dates back over 3,800 years to the Shang dynasty.

The massage therapy involves manipulation similar to a chiropractor in the U.S.  It also involves deep muscle kneading and pressing, and a technique called cupping to remove toxins from the body.

After 30 minutes of deep and painful massaging of the muscles, with the therapist using hands, elbows, forehead and other body parts, I was already in pain.  Then the spine and joint manipulation began.  Large hammers came out of hiding and soon I felt the thumping on my back, neck and butt.   Suction cups were placed on my back with a significant vacuum drawn, to cup the skin of my back and draw the toxins.  This left large bruise circles that reminded me of crop circles in the English countryside.   At this point the therapist asked me if Asian women were more delicate than American women-my response was certainly not when giving a massage.  The therapist explained that my body was pretty healthy, which made me wonder why I needed to go through so much pain, if everything was good.  The next day I was sore, so I remain confused why a healthy body needs the therapy to feel better.

I’m now not sure whether Dick Cheney or the Chinese are better at torture.




1 comment:

  1. This is great material. Your content is full of respectable information that is usable for today's readers. It's really full of useful and interesting facts that anybody can grasp. Chinese Massage Center in Deira I love reading articles so well-written. You've done a wonderful job with this content.

    ReplyDelete