Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Grouse Hunt Post Mortem

The grouse hunt went largely as expected with two exceptions.  The weather was nice until a little rain on Sunday morning, which makes packing up camp a little sloppy.  Thursday night the temperature reached the low-20s, which is perfect sleeping weather if you have a good sleeping bag.  The food we cooked was great and the bonding amongst friends and family was very memorable. 
12 people were expected to participate this year and a 13th joined us for the day.  One of our friends that participated in past years unexpectedly joined us for the day on Friday.  He had some heart stents installed two days earlier and had two more planned for early this week, limiting how much time he could spend.  It was enjoyable talking to him about travels past and future, his children and extended family from foreign exchange programs.  I last saw him two years ago at O’Hare airport; he was leaving with his wife for Brazil and I was heading to Las Vegas.  I explained my plan to move to Taiwan and he recently hosted two foreign exchange students from Taipei.  Hopefully I will see him in Taiwan soon.
My Fiancée was concerned that I would be eaten by a bear.  She asked that I pitch my tent in the center of the others, so the bear would eat someone else first and allow me to escape. I assured her that my plan to avoid becoming bear food was better than hers; I would smother everyone else’s tent with food.  Her unreasonable fear of bears came from watching a TV show where a Russian woman was being eaten by several bears, but still had the presence of mind to call her Mother and describe what was happening.  I actually have a bear story from a grouse hunt many years ago, but it is not important now.
Bears don’t represent too much of a danger and actually the hunt and camping can be fairly safe.  However we did have a near tragedy occur Saturday night.  One of the younger members of our group fell off the 50-60 foot cliff into the river below.  Along the way, it appears he hit a tree, causing a lacerated liver.  He was found face down in the river.  The group acted quickly and with appropriate measures, given we didn’t know the extent of his injuries.  One of the younger members is an EMT for a fire department and ambulance service.  A cot was used to bring him back up the cliff in the dark and then he was taken to the local hospital.  They were unable to treat him and moved him to a larger hospital one hour away.  He remained hospitalized for two nights and released in relatively good shape.
He was incredibly lucky to have the limited injuries, given the steep fall. Before the accident, I spent time with him talking about authors, books we have read, philosophy, winemaking and many other subjects.  I am always amazed at his intellect, kindness and liberal view of life.  I am incredibly thankful that he will be okay and look forward to talking with him again to bring closure to some unfinished discussions and open some new ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment