Monday, January 21, 2013

Macular Degeneration Prevention Supplements


Two years ago I went to my eye doctor for my annual checkup.  The doctor had me take a new test (new at his office).  His assistant had me look through a scope at a dot on a grid and indicate when I saw movement.  The movement seemed difficult to detect from normal vibrations in the room, but I did my best to appease them.  The doctor said I scored very low and was predisposed for age related macular degeneration.  AMD is a very serious disease resulting in blindness and I don’t want to sound as if I don’t take it seriously.  The doctor prescribed a vitamin supplement that I could conveniently buy from his office.   I received 3 months of a high dose capsule and instructed to take 2 each day and never, ever miss a dose.  The supplement is very expensive and I was told to return in 6 months for another exam.

I returned in 6 months, retook the test, which seemed very subjective to me.  I could see movement, but wasn’t sure it was the movement they were looking for.  The doctor said my results improved slightly, but I was still in danger of AMD.  I took more expensive supplements and was retested 6 months later.  This cycle went on for two years.  One time I failed the test so bad, they said my result scored near zero.  I explained it seemed very subjective and asked to retake it.  I then received a numeric score that was near normal.  The doctor said to keep taking the supplements conveniently sold at his office. 

I stopped by his office one day to restock my supplement supply and the assistant remarked that a large number of the doctor’s patients were taking them.  While I was slightly suspicious before, I became highly suspicious at this time.  I explained this to my wife, who is a scientist and medical researcher.  She read some studies and had me look at one published by the Cochrane Group in London.  The eye health division of Cochrane concluded the supplements provided no benefit. 

Recently I switched eye doctors and asked about my predisposition to AMD.  My new doctor said my macular looked fine.  I explained the test taken and supplements prescribed.  She said the test was referred to as the Amsler grid and the proper application was to detect whether there was a break in the grid or the lines were distorted.  Movement detection was not part of the test and there are no numerical scores given.  I looked at the Amsler grid she held in front of me and the lines looked perfectly straight. She said the supplements wouldn’t hurt, but she doesn’t recommend them either.  I announced I had been scammed.  My new doctor didn’t disagree, but was cautious to avoid the word scam.  She said her desire was to secretly go to other doctor offices for eye examinations and see what happens elsewhere. I wish she would; I was scammed.

 

1 comment: