Monday, August 20, 2012

Richland Center, Wisconsin

I am currently working in Richland Center, Wisconsin.  This small town of 5,000 people is located in Southwest Wisconsin in an area known as the "driftless" area.  The geography is unusual with high hills and deep valleys.  It is believed the last round of glaciers missed the area.  The countryside is beautiful. The Pine River runs along the city and is spring fed.  Trout fishing in the area is excellent.

Richland Center is a city that time seems to have passed by.  It has a Mayberry feeling and look.  That is not meant to be a bad thing, however the humble little downtown probably hasn't changed in 50 years. The red brick county courthouse is amazing. I went to the local furniture store to buy a bed, and the lady recognized me as someone from out of town. She seemed excited that I was moving into their town and told me about some upcoming events, including a country music festival and tractor pull.

Country music plays everywhere and the town has its own radio station. I originally thought there were only 10 country songs ever recorded, but I now know there are more than 20.  Just kidding country fans.

I have developed a nice little routine to my life here.  First thing in the morning I go for my run and workout at Symons Recreational Center on the UW RC campus.  It opens at 4:00 a.m., so I can get a full workout in before work.  On Fridays, the Church of Navarone near my apartment sells bratwurst for  $2 including sour kraut and onions. 

Two blocks away is the Alcam Creamery which has the most amazing butter, produced from the milk of nearby Amish farms and then handrolled.  Rumor has it that the Ruth's Chris steak chain uses their butter, and melts some on top of their steaks.  I now know their secret. Surpisingly, I first heard about Alcam while living in Taiwan.  An ex-pat friend living in Taichung told me about the great butter he found while visiting a factory nearby.

Richland Center has a number of large dairy processing plants, a foundry, a Rockwell automation factory and other manufacturing plants.  Employment seems plentiful here and finding a decent apartment is tough.

I am a fan of the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.  While most people think of him as a resident of Spring Green, he was born in Richland Center.  Only one building in town was designed by the master-the A.D. German Warehouse.  The building is famous with Wright fans and many people seek out Richland Center to see his early career work.  Once I moved here, I planned to go find the building.  One night I was cooking dinner on the grill on my second story deck. I looked up and realized the building was across the street.  I recognized the Mayan patterned tiles around the top of the building, peering through the trees.

Richland Center has a super Walmart and I'm thankful for that.  Life here isn't too bad.  The people are friendly and it takes me between 3-5 minutes to get anywhere, including work.  I've never before had a job that I lived so close I could go home for lunch.  That's kind of nice.  On weekends I return to our home 2.5 hours away to enjoy my life there.








No comments:

Post a Comment