Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lost in Translation


The Taiwanese and Chinese people are eager to translate many things into English. I believe this is indicative of their helpfulness, especially the Taiwanese, but also a form of status display.  If you are able to advertise in both Chinese and English, then you are a globally sophisticated person or company.  Please understand that I am not complaining; having an English translation, regardless of how bad it can be, is more helpful to me than a group of Chinese characters.  Regardless of my poking fun at translations, I still sincerely appreciate them.

Menus can be humorous.  In mainland China, the spelling and grammar are often poor.  I counted one page with 36 errors.  Taiwan English translations are usually technically correct, however they are worded much different than native English speakers are accustom.  A restaurant offered a “comprehensive mushroom pizza”.  I love mushrooms on pizza, and to know there are many types is better than few, but comprehensive is the best.  Another menu offered the “meats of mammals”.  Technically correct yes, but helpful no, even to this carnivore.   “Hamburgers made of real meat” is probably not as strange as you would think, especially if you have been served one of those fake vegetarian versions of hamburger.

I take public transportation all of the time in Taipei.  When exiting, the message in English is usually “please carefully alight through the door”.  I believe alight is a holdover from an old English maritime term for getting off the ship, but that is just my guess.  I carefully alight almost every day.

For those that enjoy Doug Lansky’s travel writing, you know that he posts funny signs provided to him by his readers.  Here are some signs I found:

Taipei Pot Plant Auction-when I was a teenager, I always thought you had to grow them yourself.

Flying Cow Ranch-see Taipei Pot Plant Auction.

Center for Human Appearance-this sign was found in a hospital and I thought it was the birthing section.  Actually it is an often used medical description for reconstructive surgeries.

When the Crowd is Very Thick-We Will Take Crowd Control Temporarily-nothing wrong with this.  I love discipline and control.

Wholesale Treasure-I always thought of treasure as something controlled by pirates and kings. If you need to obtain treasure by exchanging some of your wealth, rather than murder and plunder, then I would prefer to pay wholesale than retail.

Heading to the Future-aren’t we all?

Mansion of the Fortune-Chinese are obsessed with prosperity and the display of wealth.  What better place than the mansion of the fortune.

Whole Dog Journal-my first thought was cookbook, but it probably is a dog lover’s attempt to teach us Fido wellness.







 






 




No comments:

Post a Comment