Monday, December 12, 2011

The Kingdom of Fruits

Taiwan is known as the Kingdom of Fruits. More fruit is eaten per capita than most any other country, and it is readily available, inexpensive and diverse in selection.  Taiwan has long been situated on important sea trade routes, allowing the trade of fruit and the introduction of new fruit to flourish.  In addition, Taiwan is located in a subtropical zone, with high mountains running through the center of the island, providing a climate for both cool weather and tropical fruits.  Cooler climate fruit such as persimmons, wax apples, Asian pears, strawberries, melons and nectarines coexist with such tropical fruits as bananas, lychees, mangoes, papaya, guava and pineapples.

I grew up in the U.S. eating the traditional fruits typically found in the grocery stores; bananas, apples, pears, strawberries and blueberries.  While the fruit was better when in season, it was typically sold out of season after enduring weeks of transportation or months of cold storage.  I had been accustomed to bland fruit with limited selection.
All of this has changed with my new life in Taiwan.  I enjoy fruit shopping, which we do several times per week.  Fruit smoothies never tasted so good.  Many of the fruits are unrecognizable in their English translation.  Fruit is often wrapped and presented individually as if it were ready for gift giving.  Taiwanese take their fruit seriously.

My favorite new fruit is Buddha’s head.  When this fruit was first cracked opened, I commented that it looked like Buddha’s brain.  I apologize to my Taiwanese friends about the sacrilegious comment about the prophet.  The fruit is incredibly sweet and the white, soft inside eaten with a spoon.  The last two pictures are Buddha’s head.
Life should be lived expecting the unexpected and with enjoyment of new experiences.  I never expected to enjoy fruit as much as I now do.






No comments:

Post a Comment